Monday 12 October 2020

#Parr61

#Parr 61

In 1984, Steve Parr completed a run around all 2500' foot fells of the Lake District. He wrote an article entitled, 'Beyond The Bob Graham' as a simple report of his sub 43hour 'round' of 61 peaks. 

I got to know Steve a year or so later, and helped him achieve a Winter BG, which he did all but solo, with me pacing the middle leg three. Together we battled really rough underfoot conditions of shin deep crusty inconsistent snow and wet bog from Steel Fell all the way to Bowfell. As a pacer, I tried to do the hard graft but it was tedious and extremely hard work. Steve took turns in front and fortunately conditions improved with harder frozen snow over the higher tops of the Scafell massif.

I vaguely recall West Wall traverse being exciting, but vividly remember slumping down in the snow halfway down Scafell as Steve raced down to Wasdale nearly two hours behind schedule. I was knackered and sore as I arrived at the road a broken man, and Stve was halfway up Yewbarrow.  It was my hardest day out on the fells ever and I was very fit then.

Steve did make up time and went sub 24hr for a Winter BG. Shortly afterwards, Martin Stone went around completely solo to eclipse Steve's effort. It was all pre-social media and Steve, and Martin both modest mountain men.  I never really got hooked by the Winter BG thing, but totally understand those who do. A friend, Iain Taylor, did just that achieving his goal after many years of toil, training, trying, waiting, and Martin's achievements are simply outstanding.

Steve had told me of his 61 Peaks round, and sent me a copy of his report, 'Beyond The Bob Graham' and I filed it away, to be undertaken at a future date. He quite rightly proposed it as something to do 'beyond the Bob Graham, perhaps a reminder some folk need now.

Sadly, Steve disappeared in the Himalayas a few years later, and his story is little know. Martin Stone summed this up just yesterday'

"In 1992, I optimised Steve's route into the current fig 8 and included a 62nd peak Mardale Ill Bell, because it is exactly 2500’ and a Wainwright. Instead of attempting the round, I did the Dragon's Back Race in 1992 and everything went quiet until 2019. Since then there have been 4 successful completions*."
* successful completions - details to follow

As I said, it's been an amazing year of adventure runs and records. I could write at length about this although I'm sure Ally Beavan has done a better job in his new book, 'Broken'. 2020 Covid-19 has been an influencer but I also believe ethics and ethos are ever evolving and inspiration comes from many different places, people and different forms. 

Steve Parr's approach and attitude was such, as was that of Mel Steventon's Wainwright Round this Autumn.   It was during Mel's round that I found myself out on the fells, for a few long days wandering if I would ever do Steve's round. Any hope of me doing sub 48hours (as Steve suggested) has long gone, not least proven by my friend, a 'young fit and strong' Howard Dracup.  But a slowly dawning light bulb moment, inspired by all these gave me this plan. 

#Parr61 is my Round

Based on the route and summits that Steve Parr did in 1984, I'm recreating what Steve did but aiming for sub 61, not his incredible 43hrs. As a 'nod' to Steve, I'm going mainly solo with road support, and during the Winter months as Steve was a prolific Winter mountaineer. 

I am open to 'pop-up' support on the fells, but no lengthy pacing has been arranged. Hence, a few folk doing a fell or three then retreating to their car / start point would be very welcome and much appreciated.  That way, there is much reduced traffic mileage, with no pacers being car shuttled.   If you fancy a trip it would be great to see you, just keep it real, please.  I'll accept any food and drink you might wish to share, banter or abuse optional.

I've decided I can do my own thing; hence, I'm starting at Threlkeld, going over Blencathra and Skiddaw first then finishing off Great Dodd. Why? I see no need to start and finish at the Moot Hall, and a trip taking in 'Bog House' is just a must.   Threlkeld is the closest road point to home, has parking and a coffee shop, so what more do I need? 





There will be a Open Tracking tracker - note that this GPX route is thanks to Jim Tinnion who did some number crunching in the planning stage (last week) and isn't always my exact line. There will be outline schedule there as well. Again, it's best guestimate and could be +/- a couple of hours each way as time goes on.
If you do want to join me on the fells for a summit or two, please do, #BringMeABrew - anything, not just tea, and a butty if you can. Brown Tea, no sugar, Butties veggie, Banter and Abuse.
I'm not after wholesale pacers, and not offering taxi services back to your start point. Mel, Gwen and Lindsey will be feed me at road crossings and I have a few other folk maybe, on the fells tbc. But there are some convenient loops and horseshoes where it will be great to see friends, old and new. 

If anyone can #BringMeABrew in Langstrath on Thursday morning ....that would be awesome.

#LakesLitterInitiative

Please be safe, Covid secure, self-contained and responsible.
http://live.opentracking.co.uk/spr2020/#



2 comments:

  1. Good stuff, Joe. I’m tracking you - all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, what a plan. You'll do it!! Go, Go, Go Joe.

    ReplyDelete